The Four Pillars of Energy Management to Help you with Stress, Resilience, Overwhelm, and Burnout
Pillar 3: Emotional Health & Wellbeing
The third of the Four Pillars of Energy Management deals with emotional health and wellbeing. The focus of this pillar lies in emotions and sensations.
Defining emotions and sensations
According to the American Psychological Association, emotions are the “complex reaction patterns, involving experiential, behavioral, and physiological elements, by which individual attempts to deal with a personally significant matter or event.”
Sensations are the impulses that your nervous system translates and transmits to your brain that relay information about stress. Sensations are signals between your mind and environment and are the only way you can experience anything physical. Signals could include:
- Pressure changes
The role of emotional intelligence
Emotional intelligence is the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one’s emotions. Responding to change requires us to be aware of our emotional response to changes.
To start instituting this pillar into your own life, I suggest taking these initial steps:
- Gain the ability to reduce negative emotions by avoiding jumping to a negative conclusion right away.
- Try to remain calm during times of stress when under pressure, and the most important thing to keep in mind is to keep your cool.
- Start being assertive and express difficult emotions when necessary as it’s important to set your boundaries appropriately, so people know where you stand.
- Gain the ability to stay proactive, not reactive during times of stress or when you feel frustrated with someone.
- Start expressing intimate emotions in close, personal relationships.
Check-in for my fourth blog when we’ll learn more about the fourth pillar, Environmental Health, and Wellbeing.